3.02.2009

Sunny San Juan

Nothing like escaping to a tropical locale in the depths of winter. That's just what I did on Friday when I joined a group of journalists from around the country for a press trip hosted by the San Juan Marriott. Although almost everyone from the group were travel bloggers/writers, I was invited because one of the purposes of us being there was to run the World's Best 10k race. This is a huge (12,000-plus participants) event that runs through the city of Carolina, and over a major bridge and back. The hope was that we'd enjoy the experience of visiting Puerto Rico as well as running the race itself. And enjoy we did!

Our host put together an packed itinerary that included visits to El Yunque rainforest and Old San Juan, as well as some great meals. We had one lunch at the kiosks--a strip of shack-like restaurants along the beach, where I got my first taste of PR specialty mofungo--as well as a swank four-course meal in a beautiful dining room at one of the marriott's restaurants, (there, we were joined by the hotel's director of marketing.)

Throughout the weekend, we were treated like VIP--fruit baskets, cheese plates, champagne and strawberries, or sangria left in my ocean-front room each day. And even at the race, where we were ushered to the front of the pack, leaving the throngs of runners behind. Too bad about 900 of them eventually passed me during those 6.2 miles...let's just say I have a ways to go before I get back into race shape. Still, I had a great time witnessing the festivities and drinking in the party culture that seems to define PR.

After a fun night recovering with room service and champagne by the hot tub with my fellow writers, I became super-stressed about the nor'easter battering the east coast. The weather channel folks had me convinced that there was no way I'd fly. Although the prospect of being stuck on a sunny island (er, archipelago) would usually be quite appetizing, all I could think of was getting home! I missed Eamon and Mark terribly and couldn't help feeling guilty that I was living the life while they were home in the cold (they did have a great weekend with Aunt Maureen). And despite the snow, I got off just fine and
am currently waiting it out in Dulles, so far just 30 minutes delayed for my flight to Newark. Finger's crossed I make it home before dark!

Took some pretty pics, will post soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you by chance take any photos of Shalane Flanagan (US Runner) at the World's Best 10k, I haven't seen any yet ;) She took 4th place.