8.17.2009

Shawanathon 2009

Eamon's one-year birthday celebration got off to an awesome start in New Paltz this weekend. We made our way up to Rose Lane on Saturday morning for the annual Shawanathon--the brainchild of Bec and John (and Ula, British Mark and Lino) that has grown with gusto since the inaugural event in 2007. This year's race included a prologue--a raft race in the pond followed by a sprint in the field--plus the standard bike and run legs. Mark was the official timekeeper, and I stood by with Eamon watching the hilarity (and fierce competition) ensue. Oh, I also participated...sorta. I was supposed to run for Ula, who is nursing a sore quad, but thanks to my terrible lack of direction, I made a few wrong turns and wound up way off course. Typical!

But the fun was just beginning: After all competitors had crossed the finish line, there was the medal ceremony, then the post-race party commenced—and went on until around 11 p.m.! Still, most of the crew woke up early the next morning for a two hour bike ride, while Mark, Eamon and I ran on the rail trail and walked around town. We got back just in time for a dip in the pond with Aunt Bec (both of them), then reluctantly got on the road. I didn’t want to leave…as usual.

Here are some pics from the race. They don’t really capture the true craziness of the Shawanathon, but you’ll get an idea…