11.02.2006

Party On...

This week has been a long one, but in a pretty good way. There've been a lot of events happening around the city, and I've been lucky enough to attend a few. Lots of late nights, good food, and people watching. No wonder I'm exhausted tonight!

On Tuesday, when I went to Cosmopolitan's Halloween party at Buddah Bar. This is a pretty swank spot near Pastis, and one that I really wouldn't have a reason to frequent on a regular basis. But the party beckoned, and off I went down cobblestoned Little West 12th street to this cavernous Pan American-themed restaurant/club. Misinformed that no one would be dressed in costume, I wore a dress and high boots, while almost everyone else donned elaborate garb. Editors hailing from over 50 countries were in attendance, along with staffers from both CosmoGIRL! and our big sister mag, Cosmo. The first person I spotted was legendary editrix Helen Gurley Brown. At 84, she now edits foreign editions of the magazine, and is still whip-smart (I've seen firsthand the typewritten critique letters she sends to my editor). Amazing. Later on, Bec joined me, and we mingled, costume-spotted, and nibbled Asian goodies until "our eyes got heavy" and we walked home together.

The next night, Wednesday, I met up with Mount roomie Shannon to hit up a party celebrating the launch of piperlime, a shoe website owned by the Gap. It was at the Hotel Gansevoort, again in the meatpacking district. As we walked up to the hotel, we noticed the bright lights and red carpet, and none other than Rosario Dawson being interviewed. Rachel Zoe, celebrity stylist and the host of the party, was sauntering out in a floor-length, one-shouldered gown! Immediately, I felt underdressed. But up we went to the penthouse bar with its sweeping views of the Hudson and Hoboken, and were spoiled by an amazing spread of Sushi, passed Hors'doerves, and a delicious dessert bar including creampuff lollipops. We literally rubbed elbows with Lucy Liu, and just missed a Vanessa Manillo spotting (she was there when we were, we just didn't see her). Sure beat Wednesday nights at Ott's in Emmitsburg!

Finally, tonight Mark and I had an impromptu dinner party. Well, I did the inviting (the sisters) and Mark did the cooking. He whipped up a scrumptious meal of salmon marinated in honey soy, a vegetable medley of aspargus tips, potatoes, and onions, and Bec's Quinoa. For dessert, rich chocolate chip cookies from Jacques Torres. Can't get much better than that!

The partying will continue into the weekend, as Mark and I are heading down to DC to help Mike ring in his birthday...recap and pictures to come on Monday!

No comments: