11.26.2007

Throw Down!


Today, I accompanied Bec to Cadence for what I thought was a taping for a Food Network show called "Creative Classics." Since it took place in a triathlon store--and since the featured chefs were both Ironman athletes and claim their cookie is a good post-workout snack--Bec was chosen as a taster. She wasn't told much more, and I was able to come along to be part of the studio audience.

I arrived a bit late and snagged a spot in the crowd gathered in front of the two chefs, who are from Lavain Bakery. They had brought in a heavy-duty oven and many other kitchen accessories for the occasion, and the women were going through the steps of making their prize-winning cookie. I couldn't quite figure out where Bec was going to fit in until I looked up and in walks Bobby Flay. I'd just been looking at his picture on the cover of the cook book Maureen got Mark for his birthday! Turns out, the show was actually Throw Down--for those non-Food Network Junkies, this show always pits local chefs against Bobby Flay, and he always surprises them, then challenges them to a cook off. This time, the chefs went head-to-head for a chocolate chip cookie making competition, and Bec and a pastry chef instructor from a culinary school were to make the tough, tough decision of deciding who's was tastier.

The audience all got to sample the cookies and the buzz around me was that the Levain Bakery cookie was much better than Bobby's. Bec and her counterpart agreed--though they had to first discuss it on film! I even got a bit of the action by being plucked from the crowd to stand between the two competitors and hold up the winner's arm after Bec announced their decision (they wanted it to be similar to a prize fight decision). I'm sure everything will be edited down, but no doubt Bec will be prominently featured on the show! We'll be sure to let you all know when it airs.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: