7.25.2006

The Demise of a Competitor

Today at the stroke of 3:33 (or so), my office started buzzing. The energy was palpable--it was as though the 20th floor had been struck by lightning, leaving us all surging with electricity. What caused the hubbub? The news that Teen People had folded. As it sometimes happens in the magazine industry, a title that's seemingly thriving one day will close up shop the next due to faltering ad sales, tumbling subscription rates, etc. In this case, it was shocking for my office in particular not only because it's one less competitor we have to worry about, but we also just lost one of our staffers to TP--and she just started there last week!

This turn of events made me realize how lucky I am to have a solid job in the magazine industry. My former co-worker just moved out of her parents house into her first NYC apartment and was banking on her inflated TP salary to keep her afloat in this pricey city. I can only imagine how hopeless she's feeling tonight; not to mention how angry she must be at herself for taking the job (she had an awesome position at CG! and I'm sure she'll find another great one in time). Even though I don't have a corner office or a fancy title (yet), it's still good to know that I have a desk to sit behind each day and a pay check to look forward to every couple of weeks.

Just my two cents for the evening.

No comments: