7.23.2006

One Weekend, Two Beaches

This weekend brought me to the coasts of Long Island and Brooklyn. Saturday night, Mark and I ventured out to Jones Beach to catch a Damien Rice/Fiona Apple show. Corinne initially bought the tickets, but couldn't make it up here, so Mark somewhat begrudginly took her place. Despite the chilly weather (and, at times, rain), we had a nice time listening to Damien et al. However, Fiona was just a bit too erratic and--as Randy Jackson would say--pitchy for our taste (I've never been much of a fan). So we slipped out about 1/3 of the way through the show, only to have to wait about an hour for the bus to show up. Oh well.

This morning I caught a ride with Bec and John out to Coney Island to watch Bec in a one-mile ocean swim. I couldn't sign up since I didn't have a USA Masters Swimming card, so I was a happy spectator instead. I've never been to Coney Island before, and it was well worth the early morning! Lots of people and things to look at--including a thriving Russian community, a bizarre African baptism, plenty of old men in speedos, and all of the crazies Brooklyn has to offer. I was well-entertained.

Pics below.

No comments: