10.24.2006

Costume Conundrum

Next Monday marks the start of Cosmic, an annual gathering of all international editors and publishers of Cosmo and CosmoGIRL! We publish in countries like Indonesia, Holland, Japan, England, and Russia, so it's a pretty big to-do once all of these women come into town. I didn't think I'd have any part in this event, considering it's just for EICs and Publishers, but yesterday my entire staff received an invitation for a Cosmic Halloween Party at Little Buddah, a swank bar on Little West 12th, which borders the West Village and MePa (that's the Meat Packing District). The party is actually on Halloween, meaning we'll be in the heart of all of the craziness that becomes the Village on October 31, meaning I need to find a costume. Considering the attendees of this party (i.e. the women who write those "1,000 ways to please your man" stories), I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of "sexy" bunnies, angels, butterflies, devils, cats, etc. You know, throw on a leotard and fishnets, add some wings or a tail, and prance around in 3" heels all night. Not quite my style, especially since my boss and other higher-ups will be there. Plus, I don't even know how dressed up people are going to get. (I can just imagine a "Bridget Jones Diary" moment where I walk in wearing some over-the-top get-up and the rest of the crowd is in jeans and t-shirts!).

So, I need to think of something neutral and safe; and going by the Cosmo standards, "Fun and Fearless" (and, obviously, female). What should I be?

No comments: