4.22.2007

Painted Black


Keren and I spent Saturday morning up in Harlem's St. Nicholas Park, painting portions of an old 13-block fence that had completely rusted. It was part of New York Cares' 13th annual Hands on New York Day, and we were two of thousands volunteers working to revitalize public spaces in all five boroughs--and fortunately had a beautiful day to be outside.

Keren, a University of Michigan grad, had signed up for the Big Ten team, so I tagged along with alums from Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan State, and more. (I didn't check, but I doubt that the North East Conference has a volunteer team! And would I have wanted to join it if they did?!) I must say that after spending a solid five hours with this group, midwesterners are seriously the nicest people ever. No pushy or bossy New Yorkers in that group! We met some great people and left the park covered in black paint, but feeling great. We rewarded ourselves for our do-gooding with a treat from Pinkberry, the latest craze in Fro-Yo that just opened up in Chelsea. Yummers.

No comments: