8.09.2006

Down the (You)Tube

A few months ago, I vowed never to visit YouTube unless absolutely necessary, because I knew the bottomless cache of pointless videos on any subject imaginable would inevitably suck me in and zap all motivation to be productive. Well, as usual, my will to avoid midless distractions eventually dissolved like sugar in coffee. Vows, schmows. They got me.

I think it was the video of Elisabeth Hasselbeck's freakout on the View last week, posted on gawker, that was my breaking point. I watched that reel, then I watched Tom Cruise on Oprah. Then I watched a parody of Tom Cruise on Oprah. And on Saturday night (hey, its better than online Scrabble on a weekend night, right?), I discovered the copious amounts of MUSIC on the site. I was in the mood to hear my new fave song, SexyBack by Justin Timberlake (yea, I'm 27 and still like J.T. But remember where I work!). I plug in "SexyBack" and voila--there's the video! With excellent sound quality to boot. Next up, Jessica Simpson's "Public Affair" (again, blame CosmoGIRL!). Then I stumble upon clips of Damien Rice performing at Jones Beach--the same concert Mark and I hit up a few weeks back. Being a huge of (recorded)live tunes, I felt as though I struck gold.

Today at work, I popped on my headphones and lined up a bunch of Ani DeFranco and Dar Williams videos to "listen to" (I don't really watch the videos, because I'm working, remember?). Tomorrow I'm going to see if there's any Willie or Johnny Cash.

Life just got a bit more entertaining. Try it yourself: youtube.com.

No comments: