8.29.2006

Switzerland Just Snuck Up On Me!


With everything else going on (babies! visitors! deadlines!), I've completely let our trip to Switzerland sneak up on me! But, as Martha Stewart would say, "that's a very good thing." Now, I just need to tie up a few (okay, many) loose ends here at work and then I can focus on this fabulous destination before me. Mothe and I meet up tomorrow at Newark and take a 6:40 plane to London Gatwick before hopping on another flight to Geneva. From there, we'll either rent a car or take a train into Bussigny, the home of the only vacant hotel within a 50-mile radius of Lausanne. (After a long and exhaustive search, I finally found a novotel with room; the reviews make me think it's on par with the Super 8 in Thurmont...not quite in the heart of the action, but cleaner sheets than, say, the Rambler...). At that point, we'll settle in and check out all that Bussigny, Lausanne, and the neighboring towns have to offer. From what I can gather, there's certainly a lot of beautiful scenery to take in, what with Lake Geneva and the Alps in plain view of our hotel! I've never seen the Alps before, so this'll be a huge treat for me!

Before I get too far ahead of myself, let me reiterate the reason we're going in the first place: To root Bec on as she competes in the World Triathlon Championships on Sunday, September 3 at 10:45 a.m. I think I'll have to station myself on top of one of the 14 hills on the bike course! But then again, I'll have to hide my bias a bit, because I'll also be covering both the elite and age group races for Triathlete Magazine (under the byline of Sarah Flynn for obvious reasons!).

Please do your part to support Bec in this awesome endeavor by e-mailing her, posting on her blog, or just tuning in to the online coverage of the event (visit triathlon.org to do that). I'll post results as soon as I can, but you can check them out online, too.

No comments: