1.29.2007

Restaurant Week

It's restaurant week here in NYC, meaning prix fixe menus are running amock amongst most local establishments. I never got into this event in DC, and I probably won't here, either--that's just because regardless of how many courses (and desserts) you get, $35 per meal is just a little too pricey for my taste. And besides, seeing that I rarely cook to begin with, restaurant week is every week as far as I'm concerned!

Anyway, in honor of the occasion, I thought I'd document some of the recent places I've dined within the last few days as well as in the upcoming week. I think this is more so that next time I think "hey, I really liked the pasta at ....", I can actually remember the name of the restaurant!

So, let's begin.

1/26: DUBLIN 6: our local pub on Hudson. Typical Irish fare plus your bar staples. On Friday I ordered the burger, medium well, with cheddar cheese. A bit salty for my taste but good enough. Mark liked his Shepherd's Pie-like concoction. B+ for food, A- for atmosphere.

1/27 (Day): HUDSON BAGELS: Does this count as a restaurant? Alternatively with the Sweet Life, this is our go-to weekend spot. Usually they get my order wrong. But yet like a boomerarng, I always seem to return. A for convenience, C- for service.

1/27 (Night): CAFE NOIR: On the suggestion of a friend's friend. Mediteranean/Spanish cuisine in SoHo ( 32 Grand St at Thompson). Sangria is served by the pitcher, as are mojitos--but at a much steeper price tag ($40 per pitcher, vs. $25). I enjoyed the goat cheese and beet salad and sampled the potatas bravas and baked brie tapas. Mark's paella was a little heavy on the seafood. The cash-only factor will probably keep us from going back too often, but I'm not against returning. B for culture, C for lack of ventilation (I was SWELTERING, and I'm usually frezing!).

1/29: KIN KHAO: Meghan A. and I stumbled into this cavernous, but cozy restaurant upon searching for another Thai restaurant in SoHo (Spring St. between W. Broadway and Thompson St.). I requested my go-to, Pad Thai, and was pleasantly pleased with the results. Lately, I've been getting some really lousy pad thai, so their flavorful version went down easily.Meg consumed her chicken in coconut milk and curry with equal enthusiasm. A for taste, A for coziness.

No comments: