2.09.2007

Bridge to Joss Stone

Had a fun, very entertaining night last night. First, Rachel (friend from CG!) and I met up to catch a screening of Bridge to Terrabithia. Remember that book from back in the day? I always loved it, because like the characters in the book, I was always playing make-believe in the woods behind our house. And even though it’s tailored to 10-year-olds, I got sucked in and found myself on the verge of sobs when Leslie died (I think everyone knows by now that this happens, right?). As we left, I noticed a lot of people with tears streaming down their faces, so I guess the film struck a chord with everyone. A little too sad for kids if you ask me, but I guess it teaches them a valuable lesson and death and cherishing what you have while you have it...

(On a side note, it seemed like CBS’ Joel Siegel, the film critic on Good Morning America (spotted in the lobby), pulled some strings to get some kid (a nephew maybe?) and a bunch of his friends in for what seemed like a very fancy-schmancy birthday party that only a New York City kid would have. Judging by the Dylan’s Candy Bar bags the kids were toting, I surmised they made a stop in the high-end confectionary before heading to this sneak-preview. Pretty sweet deal!)

After the movie, Rachel and I hot-footed it to the lower east side to catch Joss Stone at the Bowery Ballroom. Well, first, we made a pit stop at Lombardi’s Pizza, which was, as usual, delicious. Then we made our way into the jam-packed ballroom to see the second half of Stone’s engaging and high-energy show. She was sporting some kind of Sideshow Bob-esque wig or extensions (a super-curly red ‘do) that grew on me as the show went on. She’s an excellent performer, and has an amazing voice! I think I’ll have to get her new album off of iTunes.

1 comment:

Flynn said...

It's good to see you're keeping busy. ;)