2.05.2007

The Past Few Days

My weekend was filled with a flurry of activity, starting out on Thursday at the Miss Sixty After Party (following the Miss Sixty fashion show, which kicked off Fashion Week).I accompanied my fashionista friend, Nandita, to the party as I assumed it would be at the very least a great people-watching event. I wasn't mistaken--Moet champagned flowed and beautiful people abounded, including Oscar winner Adrien Brody and rapper Eve, who performed on a tiny stage in front of the intimate crowd of 200 or so. The whole thing was a blast, but made me glad I'm only extrinsically involved in the fashion world. It's fun for a night, but the whole scene is a little too superficial and extravagant for me and my H&M/Loehmanns wardrobe.:-)

The next night, Karl and I hit up MSG to watch the Milrose Games. We had press passes so we got front-row views of all of the races. We totally track-geeked out, ogling at all of the stunningly fit athletes like Maurice Green, Gail Devers, Bernard Lagat, Craig Mottram, and Tirunesh "The Baby-Faced Destroyer" Dibaba (the women's world record holder at 5000m). At one point we found ourselves in the bowels of the Garden sitting amongst great Irish miler Eamonn Coughlin and a contingent of the top track & field agents, as Alan Webb, Lagat and Mottram warmed up for the mile behind us and Green got a rub down at a table to our right. I think we were probably the only two normal girls on the planet who would choose to spend a Friday night at a track meet, but I was really excited to be there!

On Saturday, I joined Keren and three other friends for brunch at Essex. Great place! We celebrated Keren's birthday with all-you-can-drink mimosas and really decent food (I tried the matzoh brei) for $15. Two-and-a-half mimosas later, I found myself in Williamsburg, Brooklyn after misreading the Subway map en route to the Upper East Side. Oops. Eventually I righted myself and made it up to my ol' stomping grounds, NYRR, to pick up my number for Sunday's 4-miler. By the time I got home, it was practicually time to head out to Keren's second birthday celebration at Mixx Lounge on 7th Ave. Mark and I were officially the first guests to arrive (so not my style), and we had a lot of fun despite the fact that this "lounge" made a complete transformation into a steamy, jam-packed club. We left a little after midnight just as things were really getting jumping.

Seven hours later, I arose and layered on the Under Armor for my 4-miler. It was ridiculously freezing and I really didn't want to go. But I had paid for the damn race, so I forced myself up to the park and ignored the nauseous, numb feeling that overtook my body beforehand. I started way back in the pack and, after fighting slow pokes and congestion throughout the first mile, I picked up the pace. I ended up surprising myself and running 6:57 pace, well under what I thought I'd do. Still not that fast, but, considering it was my first 4-mile race ever, I got a PR!

The weekend wasn't over yet, though. It was Super Bowl Sunday after all, and we still had the game to watch! Mark, Speed, Leezie, and I huddled into a booth at Dublin, ate a really random mix of food, and cheered on the teams (I remained impartial) until the bitter end. Bec, John, and Keren stopped by for a bit, making it a very fun Super Bowl Sunday!

No comments: