5.07.2007

Laying Eggs

There's a lot going on in my world these days, so sometimes I forget that I'm supposed to be "in training" for the NYC triathlon. Unlike Karl and Bec, I do not make early-morning swimming or cycling sessions part of my week and instead toil away at the gym, exhausted, late at night after work. I know I'm not doing exactly what is necessary to get into racing shape, but I do as much as I have time for. But after this weekend, I realize that I'm going to have to find a little more time for training, because I definitely need it!

Looking at the bright side, I did complete two "races" this weekend, which, I think is a first for me. I say races dubiously because only one was actually official--a duathlon in Ulster County, NY yesterday. The other was the Chelsea Piers Mile, which I esentially stumbled upon on Friday night. Erroneously told that this was going to be a "major" event, I convinced Bec, still ailing from her Buenos Aires mystery bug, and Mark to join me at the gym to watch the races go down. I actually thought there were going to be pros there and the track dork inside of me wnated to check it out. When we got there, all we saw were a bunch of men running around the banked 200m track. And these weren't professionals--they were regular gym-goers. I figured we missed the big race and was all set to hit the treadmill when next thing I know, I'm getting pulled into the women's field, which consisted of two other women and myself. I'd eaten only a bialy and some chips throughout the day and hadn't stretched a muscle. Then, with a bad start, I pulled the caboose from the gun (er, wave of the hand), and watched as the two girls in front--one a pro triathlete, the other just a girl in very good shape--battle it out. I figured I'd just try not to get lapped and go for sub-7 minutes. When I finished the six-and-a-quarter laps, I checked my watch: 6:22. Nothing to write home about, but better than I thought I could do on little sustenance and absolutely no preparation. By default, I made the podium and was promised some sort of prize later in the week. Not bad.

About 48 hours later, I found myself at another starting line; this time for the 2-mile run, 14-mile bike, and 2-mile duathlon. I debated whether to do this all weekend, because I knew I wasn't ready. But how hard could it be? Answer: Extremely. Two miles of running may be doable, but bike ride really did me in. Actually, it was a very steep, long hill that did me in. To quote a fellow racer, there was an egg on that hill, and I laid it. Ugh.

As I predicted, Karl beat me by a full leg (she was finishing her run when I was just starting), and did us all proud by finishing around 5th or 6th.

Today, a bit beleagured but ready to face the week, I'm motivated to up my training so I actually can finish a race without feeling like I have the speed of a 90-year-old. Let's just see if I can find the time!

1 comment:

jeanie said...

Because of your description of your training, I have decided to step up my own physical activity. It's been way too long and the muscles are screaming. My efforts are VERY modest but I have hope that I can do something every day. Today it was biking and exercising in the pool. Keep up your good work. You are an inspiration.