1.29.2008

This morning, I woke up to the news that there was a major fire on 12th and Washington--that's just two blocks away! Apparently, we all slept through what I can only imagine were many sirens and lots of hubbub outside. An entire building went up in flames, destroying eight apartments and displacing 40 families. Scary! Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.

This comes on the heels of some other fire department activity that occured yesterday morning:I woke up smelling what I thought was kerosene. Mark and Karl, being as stuffed up as they are, didn't really smell a thing. I looked outside and saw a fire truck outside and panicked a bit. We all walked downstairs where our neighbor told us that the boiler was leaking oil...nothing too alarming, but the odor was super storng and terrible! Karl and I spent some time down the street at Dunkin' Donuts while the fire department did their thing. We came back and the smell lingered all day long. I just kept a candle close by as I worked, which really didn't do much to mask the noxious odor.

I guess we're lucky it was nothing more serious!

No comments: