8.07.2008

No news is...

...good news? I guess. But when the news has to do with the status of a 7.5-lb* baby parked in your belly, you're always hoping for some sort of change. However, as of my appointment this morning, Baby F is still quite content in his coccoon and, it seems, won't be making his debut this week. So much for my (not-so) secret hope of an 8-08-08 birthday!

Mark accompanied me to the doc's in Soho, where he got to meet my favorite of the 5 women who may deliver F. She's young and always wears the cutest clothes, so I liked her from the first time she saw me back in December. Plus, she is somewhat of a runner, meaning we usually have something to banter about (besides technical stuff) as she's doing her measuring and whatever else.

Today's appointment entailed the typical routine (I'll spare you the details) and the blase report that nothing has changed since my visit last week. I kind of already knew this going in as I haven't had any real signs of pre-labor, but I was hoping she'd look up and say "wow, he's going to come today!" But no such luck. Just a smile and a suggestion to walk around and drink raspberry leaf tea to kick things into gear. (Of course, I already know these tricks since I wrote an item about natural ways to induce labor for livestrong.com.)

In reality, I'm glad it looks like we're going to stick it out to the due date because I have three assignments to write before next week. And if I have a baby tomorrow, well, those stories would not get done. So it's for the best, right?

*the one update we did receive is that F is "not going to be a tiny baby" (doctor's words). In fact, he is estimated to weigh around 7.5 lbs now, meaning that by his due date in 10 days, he could be 8-9 lbs. Or more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Congratulations on looking and feeling fabulous all the way to the end.

For interested readers, another way to bring on labor is "the shake that delivers." You've already heard my story, but for those who haven't, it's 2 tbsp. castor oil in 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream with a splash of OJ, blended. Worked for me!

Sarah said...

Oh, I am definitely considering that shake...maybe I'll wait til next week!

jhg said...

Castor oil worked for Audrey....born 12 hours later, 45 minutes after arriving to hospital and NO time for an epidural !!! Just ignore the fact that it is like liquid vaseline. I mixed it with coke!
Waiting in excited anticipation!

jhg said...

And, don't be too frightened of the large estimates....they thought Audrey would be a good 8.5lbs and she was only 7.2! There's hope!