4.26.2009

Sweet story

As most of you probably know by now, Bec WON the St. Anthony's tri today! This is a big-time race and she did amazingly well. As did Ula, who finished 14th. Here's a touching little story that's running in tomorrow's St. Petersburg Times:

Sister act: Ten years ago this weekend, women's winner Rebeccah Wassner of New Paltz, N.Y., was in London running her first big race.

"My twin sister, who had just finished her last chemotherapy treatment for Hodgkin's, was with me," she said. "We didn't think she was going to be able to go, but in the end, she made it."

On Sunday, minutes after winning her first major triathlon, Wassner lingered around the finish line looking for her twin, Laurel, also a pro triathlete.

"Did you win?" Laurel said as she crossed the line 7 minutes, 16 seconds behind her sister.

"I won," Rebeccah answered, giving her sister a hug.

"I can't believe it," Laurel responded. "I am so happy I could cry."

No comments: