1.10.2006

A dinner in, a pulled muscle, and a celebrity sighting

If I were to sum up the past few days, the title of this entry would pretty much do it. Two highlights and one lowlight comprised the standout events in my life since the weekend. First, the lowlight: the pulled (or tweaked, or whatever you want to call it) quadriceps. Perhaps too prematurely (i.e., I am not in good enough shape), I ran a few track workouts at CP. Everything felt great, until I extended too far, tried too hard, or my tired ol' muscles just couldn't take any more. And now I'm stuck with a very sore quad that doesn't want to do any kind of exercise, no matter how much I want it to. I'm taking it easy for a few days, as I know from many former running-related injuries that rest (and ibuprofen) eventually heals all.

Now, to the highlights--as meager as they are. The dinner in is a reference to a nice night at home with Mark and Patty--who came over from Hoboken. We had brown sugar baked salmon (one of my three specialties!) and brownie sundaes. It was really nice to just stay in with a friend, watch tivo'd Dancing with the Stars, and catch up. (As a bonus, I was also able to catch up with another good friend, Nandita, on Sunday with a brunch at Cafeteria and then a quick stop at L where I bought my dress for Sissy's wedding reception next month!).

Finally, the celebrity sighting: Usually, I don't make a big deal about my sightings because, well, usually they aren't real a big deal. But this one was, not only because of my close proximity to the celeb but also because of her mega-watt star power. Here's the story: I was in the locker room at CP, getting ready to go swimming when I stopped at the toilets. Unintentionally, I followed an Amazonian blonde woman, who was leaving the stall, into the same toilet. (Yes, unintentionally, the door was open and I went in). Anyhow, I then went to wash my hands, where the Amazonian blonde was fixing her absolutely perfect corkscrew curls. I looked up into the mirror, over to this perfect person, when I realized it was none other than NICOLE KIDMAN! My heart skipped a beat and immediately, I felt like a troll next to her. Her skin was like pink porcelain (she was flushed, I guess, from her workout) and she was seriously like 6'10". Overall, she was absolutely beautiful...just like in the movies!

So that's my week so far. Oh: one more highlight--Mark and I just realized that the hotel featured in Blue Crush is the I'Hilani on Honolulu, where we stayed on our honeymoon. Yeah, it only took us two months to figure that out, but we're still excited about that.

See below for a (blurry) pic of Patty and I on Sunday.

No comments: