6.04.2007

On the road again

The best part about this freelancing writing career? It's totally mobile! I'm taking my job on the road this morning and heading down to G-burg for a much overdue visit with Sissy, Sophie, and Lucy, who are there for the next two weeks. I can't wait to see them.

I have deadlines for three major magazines this week, so this trip won't be all play. But it might be hard to break myself away from the twins to get my stories done. Hopefully, they'll take a few naps so I can find time to "punch the keys" (as Mark would say).

Speaking of Mark, I wanted to give him a big shout out for his awesome performance at the Ridgefield Tri over the weekend! The two of us competed in the town's first-ever triathlon yesterday. And despite our worries about the hilly course, we both had good races. After a superquick swim, Mark stayed strong on the 15-mile rolling ride and 3.5 UPHILL run. I remained fairly consistent on all three legs and finished as the second woman overall/first under 40. Big surprise there! The "real" competitors did not turn out for this one, but they should have: Prizes included Brooks running shoes, Rudy Project helmets and sunglasses, and Cannondale hats (which I won along with a medal). Maybe next year Karl and Bec will compete and we can go 1-2-3!

The town was so supportive of all of the competitors--the best part of the race was a U-Turn on Main Street, with many Ridgefield residents lining the streets and cheering their hearts out (I felt like I was in a parade!). Some families set up their own water stands in front of their houses along the course. There wasn't a stretch longer than 400 meters where there wasn't someone cheering you on. Many thanks to the town of Ridgefield for turning out for this very well done event, and to Bubba and Mario for providing a delicious pre-race meal and a very comfortable night's sleep!

1 comment:

jeanie said...

Congrats to Sarah for the Ridgefield event. Mark Too. You Wassner girls are winners all.