8.03.2007

And the eating continues...Ladies Who Lunch!

I was all set to have a PB&J for lunch today when Bec invited me to lunch. Sure, why not? I thought, thinking we'd hit up a quick eat place in the 'hood. But then, she suggested Perry Street, and the tone of my day completely shifted from just so-so to SO fantastic!

We put on our glad rags (silver halter and grey skinny jeans for Bec; a long brown sun dress for and my new silver gladiator sandles for me) and walked down to the restaurant, which is situated on the ground level of one of the all-glass Richard Meier apartments. Since it's the brainchild of famed chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten--who also runs other tres magnifique joints like Spice Market, 66, and V Steakhouse--I knew we were in for a tremendous treat.

And a treat it was indeed: We first munched on fresh rolls and sipped homemade sodas: Lemon-Thyme for me and Passionfruit for Bec. The first course was a nice lump of steak tartare (which, despite our picky tastes, we both devoured) served with Gruyere toast, and an heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad. A nice lingering break let us recharge for the second course: A bluefin tuna burger on a most delicious brioche, served with homemade potato chips, plus a lovely grilled salmon on top of a black sesame mustard sauce and grilled pequillo pepito peppers on the side.

Dessert was included, so we sampled a bowl of chocolate pudding topped with whipped cream and Crystallized Lavender (kind of like super fancy Fruity Pebbles) on top of a bed of Devil's Food cake, and Peach Melba, which (and this I had to look up) involved peaches covered with a noraspberry puree and a milky granita.

Due to an oversight, we were denyed the amuse-bouche (I now know what that means thanks to Top Chef!), which was a version of gazpacho made with raspberry, cucumber, red and orange bell pepper, ginger, red wine vinegar and olive oil, served in a tiny cup. I'm sure we would have enjoyed that, but after the meal we had, we left totally satisfied nonetheless.

I must say, Bec treated me to the best meal I've had in NYC (outside of Speed's kitchen, of course!) yet! She is the best Ladies Who Lunch partner ever!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, I don't think I've ever been to Speed's kitchen, but ohmigoodness I ate at Perry St for work and it blew my mind. It's unrealistically good. So glad you lunched there! What a nice treat!