8.08.2007

While we were sleeping...

...the city was having an absolute meltdown! A early-morning, violent storm (which Mark and I completely slept through) downed trees, struck powerlines, and flooded streets from Queens to Long Island. Mark and I went about our business--he quickly getting dressed and dashing out the door and me going to my "office" in my pajamas--totally ignorant of the chaos that was enveloping the mass transit system. Minutes after Mark left, I turned on NBC and heard the traffic woman rattle off all of the lines that were delayed or just plain not running at all. People were walking from Brooklyn. Subway cars, lacking AC, packed like sardines. Traffic was snarled throughout the city.

An utter mess.

Everyone I know made it to work OK, just barely. Some arrived at 11:30 after leaving their apartments at 9. Hopefully their bosses understand (they were probably just as bad off).

Feeling empathy, I decided to do my own brutal commute: a 30-minute run along the West Side Highway. 15 minutes into it, I was pouring sweat and panting. By the time I reached my apartment, I was seeing stars.

This heat has got to go!

No comments: