9.20.2007

Odd Jobs

Over the past couple of months, I've realized that the best part about being a freelancer is all of the random stuff you get to do--and among that is picking up part-time gigs. Luckily for me, I've figured out a way to get paid for what I love to do, e.g., run! My latest "assignment" is a leader for the adidas Urban Run, which is a twice-weekly distance run leaving conveniently from Chelsea Piers. We take anyone who wants to join us out on a free 6-8 mile run and offer them a place to hang out and refreshments. I started last week and have already been"promoted" to a leader at another run for adidas, geared toward marathon runners and leaving from Central Park. So I'm now committed to running on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Sundays--maybe I should start training for a marathon myself?

On top of that, I'm writing a bunch of stories, including one about training for triathlons during the off-season and the various ways to keep the motivational fires lit over the winter. So I'm testing out a bunch of places around the city that offer out-of-the-box workouts (anything you won't find in a typical gym, really), and today I hit Velocity, a training center in midtown. There, I was told that my mechanics weren't ideal (stride's too long and inefficient), and I went through an hour-long training session trying to right all of my wrongs (funny, I always thought my long stride was a good thing!). Hopefully, the inevitable soreness will be gone before I try out a yamuna body rolling session, a strength session, and an agilty session at other gyms/studios within the next week!

Like I said, lots of random stuff going on these days. Never a dull moment!

No comments: