6.28.2008

Pantella's Pancake Tri


This morning at the bright and early time of 5 a.m., Mark, Keren, and I headed to Staten Island for the 2008 Pantella's "Flat as a Pancake" sprint triathlon. (We had the pleasure of having Keren stay over on Friday night; we took her to a good ol' Italian place in 'Boken for a carbo-loading dinner). Since I'm not quite in race shape (to say the least), I came along for moral support and photography duties. I was nervous/excited for the two of them; especially for Keren as this was her first triathon ever! Mark, of course, is an old-hand at them, but it was his season opener.

The morning was beautiful and the setting picturesque despite being in the often pooh-poohed borough of SI. Mark's wave was first to go in the water, and I was thrilled to see him emerge from the Bay in the top ten of his wave. A little later on, K came out, smiling and looking like she was having a great time. Then off on the bikes they went, and I was able to see them both pass three times on the multi-loop circuit. I'm sure that was quite a bore for them, but it was a great spectator's course! The run was an out-and-back on the boardwalk, and I was able to see the top folks finish as well as M & K start and end. I took lots of pictures and video (hope to post that soon) and tried not to get too envious of all of the people crossing the finish line! It's hard to watch a race, but I know I'll be back out there soon!

More pics follow...again, a big shout out to Mark and Keren...I am so proud! :-)



Posted by Picasa

No comments: