7.18.2008

The bump's on the bus

Hello, I’m Sarah. I’m nine-months pregnant. And I’m en route to DC on a bus.

Yep, that’s right, I’m reporting to you live from the Bolt Bus—we’re currently cruising down the BW Parkway, meaning that we’ve almost made it. Thank goodness for that, because after standing in line for nearly an hour in the nearly-90 degree heat, I wasn’t sure I would. But as soon as I snagged my seat, propped up my computer on my lap (at an angle, mind you; there’s not enough room between my bump and the seat in front of me), and hopped online, I was feeling much better. Yes, it is the bus, but it’s A) clean, B) full of normal people and C) has both wireless a connection and plugs at each seat. Bonus: I’ve only had to endure a few moments of someone’s foul-smelling sandwich before they either chowed it down or put it away. No fried chicken on this bus!

It’s been a long day so far, starting with an early-morning stop at the Hotel Pennsylvania (AKA Touristland USA), where I conducted a phone interview with a Harry Potter cast member before getting on the bus (or, rather, before getting in line for the bus, which arrived, as mentioned, an hour behind schedule). Fortunately, the group of Midwestern high school kids who’d descended upon my quiet nook in the corner of the lobby just as I was expecting the call left for Ground Zero just in time for the interview. Unfortunately, about halfway through the phoner, I realize I forgot to put on deodorant (TMI, I know) and I had PP’s halfway down my t- shirt. I quickly stripped down to my black tank top, which is very tight and, well, let’s just say leaves very little to the imagination. My belly’s on full display and I got quite a few blatant stares from people, including one guy who’s eyes literally bugged out of his head. What, never seen a ridiculously large pregnant woman waiting for a bus before? Come on, people!

Needless to say, I’m eager to get to DC, check into the hotel, put on some real clothes (and deodorant!) and start having some fun!

1 comment:

BecW said...

very brave of you Wah, battling the bus, the heat, the smelly food! Have fun this weekend!!