10.16.2007

Karl to the rescue!

In attempt to get our apartment rented (did I mention we're moving?), Mark and I have decided to start ridding ourselves of the "clutter" that could possibly be turning potential renters away. So I began by rearranging the living room yesterday to open things up a bit, then I decided to hit the bedroom. Our bedroom--just big enough for a queen-sized bed and a dresser, really--had been jammed packed with stuff, including a seperate wardrobe for my endless amounts of clothes (we have limited closet space, just one of the many reasons we're moving!). I had little desire to dismantel the piece, and always have difficulty letting go of certain items, but Karl convinced me otherwise. She came over after work and helped me go through my closet and wardrobe, determining which items needed to go and which could stay. (Deeming my style "trendy", she was right in saying that I had many disposable shirts, skirts, etc., whose looks are no longer in vogue, and probably won't be again).

We made a gingantic mess, but by 12:30 a.m., after a pizza dinner and a trip to 'Boken to drop off the first load of stuff, everything was cleaned up, put away, and the apartment looks 100 times better!

Now, I just need to gather my strength to take the 5 bags of clothes, shoes, and bags to the neighborhood thrift store! They're not going to know what hit them!

1 comment:

jeanie said...

I have been experiencing my own "weeding out" lately. We have our Silver Spring condo up for sale and as the real estate guy said, "we are not selling rugs here-just the condo". So we rolled up some rugs and when the guy left, we promptly unrolled a couple of them. I had to pack up what Liz calls "the wedding present closet" and it took all day. Most of the items in that closet are actually Grandmommy's and Phil's Mom's. All of the stuff is sentimental. Do any of you children want any vases?? or perhaps plates??