2.11.2008

Grammy Recap

I actually sat through the entire Grammy broadcast tonight. I say actually because normally I don't have the patience--or energy--to watch an entire awards show from start to finish. Or, I'll just DVR and fast-forward my way through the program to the good parts. But tonight I think I saw almost every bit of the 3-hour show (I was focusing more or less on my primary task at hand, writing, so I tuned out the boring stuff). Anyway, I was happy to see more live performances than ever (loved Feist and Rhianna; Carrie Underwood's stiffness and shaky voice left much to be desired--what would Simon say?; Kanye's tribute to his mama made me teary-eyed) and approved of Amy Winehouse's big Record of the Year win. She seemed to have cleaned herself up for her much-anticipated live-via-satelite act (it was around 3 a.m. London time when she went on), but her emaciated legs and somewhat dead eyes scared me. She just scares me in general, though I do like her voice. Same goes for Fergie--can't really bare to look at her, but I've got nothing against hearing her stuff, even though tonight's Mary J-Blige-style belt-out duet with John Legend was kind of pointless. OK, we get it--you can sing, but stick to what you're good at: Shaking your humps and lovely lady lumps!

No comments: