5.19.2006

Please Don't Call it a Comeback...


I have great memories of making scrunchies by covering strips of elastic or stretchy tops of gym socks with colorful fabric (one to match every outfit!) But that was maybe 15 years ago, and I abandoned those funky hair bands right around the same time I ditched my slap bracelets and L.A. Gear high-tops. Now that the 80's are back in full-force (you can't walk down any street in New York without seeing a girl sporting black leggings underneath a mini skirt), I'm wondering: will scrunchies make a come back, too?

I hope not. Ever since I saw the classic Sex and the City episode when Carrie is aghast over Aidan describing the heroine in novel wearing a scrunchie, I assumed that any woman (in New York at least) would never, ever consider wearing a scrunchie again. It's not like I think SATC should dictate every fashion choice we make, but I felt as though this sentiment, like our love of nice bags and good shoes, was shared by women city wide. Sure, scrunchies are functional. And yep--they're super cute on those under the age of 10. But with regular ol' plastic "ballies", barrettes, and claw clips being as cheap and readily-available as they are, what's the point of tying your hair back with a clunky old relic like a scrunchie?

Maybe I'll ask the scrunchie-wearer I see on a daily basis why she's still holding on to hers. That, and the lycra t-shirt emblazoned with a particular patriotic logo that was really, really cool in 1997.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

i saw someone wearing l.a. gears on 42nd street the other day!!!!

wfa said...

I will confess to using scrunchies every day...not the way you are thinking, though. I wrap a scrunchie around the neck of my bass, near the headstock, in order to deaden undesired tones when I play harmonics on the instrument. It would be easy to show you, but it is not easy to explain. I will mention that I had a hell of a time finding scrunchies 3 or 4 years ago. The ding-a-ling at the "accessories" store in Idaho Falls did not understand why I might need such an ornament. She even went to the trouble to tell me that my hair wasn't sufficiently long to take advantage of a scrunchie.