5.18.2006

"Short" lived-celebration

It's official: Our superfast performances in last night's race can be attributed to the course being cut short by NYPD. Exactly how much they lopped off has yet to be determined, but I'd speculate at least 100-200 meters. Meaning, my sub-20 performance would actually be closer to 20:30 or so had we actually run a whole 5K. Still, 20:30 is about 20 seconds faster than what I ran on Sunday, so I really can't complain. So it seems like this whole racing instead of training approach is working out quite well!

Regardless of last night, I'm optimistic about the upcoming races. I had a lot of energy this morning at 5 a.m. when I got up for my ride. Instead of a brick (bike/run) workout, Mark rode with me to the park and we did one full loop around Central Park before he headed back home, then I continued on to do another full loop, and then a "lower-5" loop, which follows the same path, but cuts out a mile's worth of hills. I think I rode about 23 miles in all, and I'll tack on another six or so tonight. But Lance I'm definitely not...I'm still feeling like a slow-poke on the bike and continue to be passed by big-butts and grannies alike! I'll keep plugging away, and hopefully the more I ride, the better I'll get!

No comments: