5.16.2006

Weekend recap

Mark and I shuffled into town last night at the ripe hour of 2 a.m. True to it's nickname as the city that never sleeps, NYC was abuzz with hot dog vendors, cabs, cars, and people zooming down the streets and sidewalks. We hailed a cab right away and get home by 2:20ish, but I probably didn't fall asleep until 3 as I was up doing the "graduation shuffle" desperately searching for my lost contact solution in my bags. For those of you contact-wearers who are as blind as I am, no solution+tired eyes=uncomfortable dryness and the potential of losing your contact(s), therefore requiring you to wear glasses that are about three years and five presciptions old! I finally gave up on the search and resorted to bed, making me very happy to find a stash of fresh contacts in the medicine cabinet this morning.

The late night was definitely worth it, though, as we were able to enjoy Mr. Flynn's retirement party until the bitter end. It was a very touching and fun evening that included a slideshow the company brought back from his 25th anniversary party eight years ago, and great speeches including one from Mr. Marriott himself who gave a very nice send-off. Mr. Flynn also delivered an excellent speech in which he spoke of reaching two brass rings in his life: one being when he married Margie, and the other when he started working for Marriott. There weren't many dry eyes in the house at that point! Later on, they gave out his gifts, which I was particularly interested in after seeing that the Mount was especially generous to Deegan at his retirement last week. Marriott did not disappoint--their coup de gras was a golf club membership and a choice of lessons, accessories, or discounted golf clubs.

The party capped a great weekend that also included visits with Corinne, Lonnie, and the NG Kids staff, Mother's Day festitivies in NoVa and Maryland, playtime with Ella, and the 5K run in Chantilly. I'm proud to say that Mark dropped about two minutes from his time in last week's race--and I ran about 1:30 minutes faster. It could have been that last week's course was long--and harder--but it's always good to see improvement. No Vegan treats this time around, though.

As I enter the final days of my job, I am pretty swamped with finishing things up. This week includes--but is not limited to--multiple interviews with local runners (a taxi driver, a priest, and a Mexican immigrant); training at my new position; another 5K race; and various season finales of my favorite shows!

Pictures from the weekend to be posted tonight.

No comments: