5.09.2006

Veeg Out


This morning as I was riding through the park, I saw a cyclist wearing a shirt with the slogan "Go Vegan!" emblazoned on his back. As he handed me a nice beating up the Harlem Hills, I started to think: Could I ever "Go Vegan?" Since I won that basket of Vegan sweets at the race on Sunday, and gained other non-meat, non-dairy, non-processed snacks courtesy of the goody bag, I've been sampling plenty of Vegan treats in the past 48 hours. On the way up to NYC, we tore into the soy jerky (gross and sticky) and the rice krispy treat (so-so). Last night, I tried out the chocolate-filled wafer cookies (just like Nabisco), and this morning I tried the Apple Pie "Larabar" (better than a PowerBar) and good ol' fashioned fruit leather (the health nut's version of a fruit roll up). Next up is an "Organic Food Bar" made of such mouth-watering ingredients as "Organic Date Paste" and "Organic Bio Sprouts." Yum.

Most of these snacks, of course, are simple substitutes to the non-vegan variety--it would probably be hard for me to tell the difference if I had to do a blind taste test. But if the basket featured BBQ "chicken" (Corinne's favorite), NY Strip "steak" (what Mark tried once at Red Bamboo), or Tofurky (I don't know anyone who eats that), I might not have as easy of a time putting away foods of the Vegan variety. For starters, it would be way too hard monitoring everything I attempted to put in my mouth to ensure that it doesn't contain any animal bi-products. If I were a true Vegan, I'd probably end up eating plain pasta and lettuce. But in all honesty, I just don't have the willpower to turn away from my favorite (non-Vegan, non-vegetarian) meals. A world without meatloaf? Unthinkable!

No comments: